Natural Wonders

Natural Wonders
The Four Natural Wonders of My World, in the beginning...

Saturday, March 19, 2011

It Really Doesn't Matter if You Win or Lose, Just Don't Lose It

The last two days my husband and I were privileged to be my oldest son's personal gallery when he played 54 holes of golf for his college team. I've seen him play lots of really good golf and some not so great golf but I can only remember one time that I wasn't proud of him: one instance when he completely lost his temper. I have blocked out in my mind what he did but I know I've seen so much worse from the other boys and now men playing alongside him that it doesn't matter. Today he didn't score anywhere near what he is capable of scoring but his decorum was impeccable. He reminds me of the Rudyard Kipling line:

"If you can keep your head when those about you are losing theirs... you'll be a Man my son!"

After we said our goodbyes (which I hate!) he texted me that he was so glad we came but he was sorry he didn't play better.

I texted back:

"Sometimes putts drop in, sometimes they don't, who cares? You've had the awesome privilege to play two days of golf on a beautiful course, all expenses paid, and we had the awesome privilege of watching our smart and handsome son perform athletically and very respectably under pressure. You tried your hardest, that's what counts. Life is good."

No comments:

Post a Comment